Skip to main content

Shrewd as Serpents and Innocent as Doves

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves" ~~Jesus

I talk a lot with my children. I talk with them in the car on the way to school. I talk with them, when they pass me in the hall. I talk with them when they come home from a friends house. I talk with them when they are bad & when they do good.

When the "Cars" lunchbox we recently got started to show wear and the fabric was fraying & ripping, I gathered them around and I told them that every time someone tries to teach them that we evolved and elements & cells naturally order themselves together & produce good things over a lot of time, I tell them to remember this lunch box. Remember this skirt I bought you 2 years ago. Remember this rotting metal shelving unit at the 99cent store. Does the evidence point to natural ordering and improvement?

When the radio program "Focus on the Family" airs a warning to parents to occupy their children because the program that is going to be broadcast contains sensitive material, I cautiously turn it up and call my children's attention to it. And they hear first hand from a wonderful woman named Gianna, who lived through a failed saline abortion attempt and is now 35 years old.

When Hannah Montana appeared on the cover of Vanity Fair. I called my girls to the computer after I had pulled her pose up on it. I said "Girls, I want you to see a picture of Hannah Montana." I then showed the scantily clad 15 year old girl, wrapped only in a sheet, to them.
"What do you think about this picture? Do you think this is someone young girls of today should be looking up to? Would you want to look up to her as someone to follow after?"

We talk about tops that are to low and skirts that are to high on different girls we meet through out the day. We talk about those Christian girls who dress immodestly. I tell them that those girls can still love Jesus, even thought they dress differently than we do. That each parent is responsible to bring up their child the way God convicts them to do so. We talk about not being self-righteous and judgmental and YET still holding your own standard.

We talk about marriage and what it means. We talk about abortion. We talk about homosexuals and why we love them even though we think they are choosing sin, and why they need Jesus' forgiveness just as badly as we do. We talk about the billboards they see, and in terms that do not force them to carry sexual burdens beyond their youth & innocence, we discuss them.

I read Foxes Book of Martyrs aloud to my children. I want them to know and be familiar with persecution and suffering for Jesus. I want them to ask themselves, "would I be willing to go through that for Jesus?" We read about the Christians who are told "Only recount Christ and you may live" and then we read of their bravery and their horrible murder as they first watch their children killed & then are they themselves killed for their Savior.


We watch End Times Movie together. We watch "Thief in the Night" "A Distant Thunder" & "The Mark of the Beast" on a regular basis. We watch dramatizations of the end times where Christians are killed, starved, and running for their lives only because they are Christians. My Children are processing these things, on a regular basis. They are being prepared to suffer. They are coming to terms in their mind as to whether they are just going along with this "Christianity" thing or whether they really are personally committed to Christ unto their own death.
Many times I have told my children: "You do not have to be a Christian. We will still love you if you choose not to follow Christ. It is YOUR choice & we would not nor could not force you to be a Christian." Maddie will often just randomly say things like: "I will never deny Christ" as she is loading clean glasses into the cupboard. And after moments of quiet in the car " I want to follow Jesus, no matter what." I know she is thinking about these things, preparing herself and processing her own choices on this topic.

Kayla used to have regular nightmares about being left behind in the rapture. While I was sympathetic to her in regards to her nightmares, I was pleased that she was feeling fear. I would constantly remind her how she could be sure she would never be left behind. She eventually chose to repent of her sins & commit her life to Jesus Christ and I believe the fear she felt had a part to play in her choice. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom Proverbs 1:7

It is my prayer that the Lord Jesus would continue to help me to bring up Children who are passionate for God & His glory. Who are as shrewd as serpents & innocent as doves.

Comments

  1. Thank you for being such an example and I hope to be such an wonderful example to my child and I need to strive to be better at it for sure.

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you talk to your kids about all those things. We just read about communication in Shepherding a Child's Heart. The next section is about the rod. oh boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing!! Janet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innocence, precious innocence!

Kayla pulled me aside in a whispered voice today. " Mommy, Allison said a really bad word". My heart dropped. My stomach churned. I sifted through the list of "really bad words" I knew in my mind. Was it the s one? . The d one? Please don't let it be that really bad other one! As I gained my composure I looked at her and said "Kayla, what really bad word did Allison say?" "Well she couldn't get the dustbuster to turn on, so she said 'come on you dumb buster' " I hid my smile and thanked God for the sweet innocence He has allowed my almost 12 year old to maintain even though the world is trying to bang down the door and steal it away. Thank you Lord for allowing me to savor this moment of innocence. :)

Tagged

Amy tagged me. I once had a nose piercing I can easily touch the tip of my nose with my tongue I can make a pretty good meal using leftovers or whatever I find in my cupboard and fridge, just don't ask me to make it exactly the same again. I feel very sincere and deep love for most people very quickly after I meet them. Sometimes I make people uncomfortable because I feel so deeply for them. There is nothing I would not give or do for a true need of another person. This has only happened since I have become a Christian and I know this is the love of Christ manifested in me. My favorite sound in the whole world right now is the sound of Allison and David playing and giggling and talking. It makes me want to worship God and thank Him for his grace to me which I know I do not deserve at all! I can usually smell things minutes before other people can. This heightened sense of smell has developed with each pregnancy I have had. Also, I had developed a love for spicier and spicier

Teaching your child about the S** word~ Part 1

Last year a mom approached me and asked me about how we approached the topic of sex with our girls. From that conversation we planned to have a informal moms night where I would teach how we did it in our home and provide an opportunity for moms to share what has worked for them. Last night, a mom mentioned to me that she noticed how open we are about talking to our kids about the topic of sex, love & relationships. She asked me some questions and it got me to thinking about this topic again. What we are doing in our home is STARKLY different from how I was raised and how this subject was broached by my parents as a young person. Many parents find this topic intimidating and awkward to say the least. And because it is so awkward they postpone bringing it up. Moms, I want to challenge you to rethink waiting and ask yourself if now might be the right time to begin to introduce your children to the topic of God's view on sex. I pulled up the file I had written and wanted