Skip to main content

The Building that is our Family

There is story after story of families torn apart through the process of adoption. Families who are working to put their lives back together because of a child or children who have torn them apart with their own hands. Disruptions, parental right terminations, institutionalizations.... I don't want to be another statistic. I don't want to earn the rights through losing this battle to join the masses of those who've gone before us & have been destroyed. With God's help, can our experience be different? As I was praying and asking God to help our family this morning, He spoke to my heart. Our sons and one, in particular, are attempting to tear our family apart. Daily, through their dysfunction, they pull the blocks down that have held this family together for the last 24 years. And with every fiber of their being, they throw those blocks around and turn a once beautiful building into a pile of rubble and chaos. Through their physical abuse, verbal abuse, through poop and pee everywhere, through violating us by pushing their faces into our bottoms and hitting us in our private places, while we are attempting to provide food & nourishment for them while standing at the kitchen counter. Through tearing us apart by cussing at us and telling us the way he wants to hurt us. Reminds me of God's truth in the book of Proverbs...."A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands...." But God showed me this morning that I have a huge part in this. It is my choice to whether we succeed or fail in this. And that with His help, if I seek it daily, hourly, by the minute, that I can take each block that is torn down and put it back with love and truth. I pick up a block that is still warm from his little hand and gently place it back while lovingly reminding him, "The anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God", then another "Love is patient, love is kind...", then another " I will love you as long as I live, no matter how you act"... For a while, this act of picking our life up block by block and placing it back into the structure that is our family will seem futile. There will be times when we feel like we are losing ground because we are. Then there will be times when we can't get it to look even a little bit like it was before they came. And even though we aren't getting anywhere and we are barely able to keep it together, & we haven't crumbled, it will feel like a loss. But over time, the attacks will lessen. As we choose to respond in love, with patience, refusing to enter into the rage, modeling a godly response to sin, confessing and repenting both to God and them when we fail to do so, God will work. Soon, we will not just be repairing and maintaining. One day God will help us to build. And we will build. We will build into this new building that is our new family. And with God's help, it will be a monument to His glory. It will be a building that those who come after us can point to and gain hope from. Dear Lord, may it be....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innocence, precious innocence!

Kayla pulled me aside in a whispered voice today. " Mommy, Allison said a really bad word". My heart dropped. My stomach churned. I sifted through the list of "really bad words" I knew in my mind. Was it the s one? . The d one? Please don't let it be that really bad other one! As I gained my composure I looked at her and said "Kayla, what really bad word did Allison say?" "Well she couldn't get the dustbuster to turn on, so she said 'come on you dumb buster' " I hid my smile and thanked God for the sweet innocence He has allowed my almost 12 year old to maintain even though the world is trying to bang down the door and steal it away. Thank you Lord for allowing me to savor this moment of innocence. :)

Tagged

Amy tagged me. I once had a nose piercing I can easily touch the tip of my nose with my tongue I can make a pretty good meal using leftovers or whatever I find in my cupboard and fridge, just don't ask me to make it exactly the same again. I feel very sincere and deep love for most people very quickly after I meet them. Sometimes I make people uncomfortable because I feel so deeply for them. There is nothing I would not give or do for a true need of another person. This has only happened since I have become a Christian and I know this is the love of Christ manifested in me. My favorite sound in the whole world right now is the sound of Allison and David playing and giggling and talking. It makes me want to worship God and thank Him for his grace to me which I know I do not deserve at all! I can usually smell things minutes before other people can. This heightened sense of smell has developed with each pregnancy I have had. Also, I had developed a love for spicier and spicier

Turn Turn Turn

Sometimes the World gets it right. "To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn) There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn) And a time to every purpose, under Heaven" Proverbs chapter 1 has something to say about turning. Let me set the scene for you.   You are a child, you are wandering the noisy streets of the bustling city. You pass by marketplaces where vendors are peddling their goods.  "Buy this!  Buy that!"  "If you have this you will be happy!"   There is a loud din, it's the voice of the world and it is speaking.  Its message is loud and pervasive throughout the streets.  Temptation is lurking. Ambushes await and it is Oh So Loud.  Around every corner, there are people trying to gain your attention.  "Come with us....together we can commit this crime...." "We'll be rich.  You'll be famous..come...." But wait. There is a voice that rises above the humming din of sin. It is the voice of wisdom. Wisdom is crying out. She &q