Skip to main content

Wendy's Wanderings


1/4/08

Today Kayla, Maddie and I read from Genesis about Noah, his sons, and the tower of Babel. We are attempting to read through the bible in a year, together. We then went to Sam’s club where Maddie spied a “Groovy Girl” set on sale for 10.37. It was regularly 24.97. Since they had about 35 boxes on hand, I convinced Maddie that if she waited a few days the price would probably go down more. I also decided that I need to take the girls through a bible study about how to be good stewards of their money. It seems that as soon as one has money in one’s pocket, so begins the battle for choosing to love God more than money and what it can buy. I am looking into some Larry Burkett material.

After buying vegetarian fed organic eggs (2.84 for 18) and 2 gallons of nonfat milk (about 2.00 gallon) at Sam’s Club, we drove over to Valley Foods. Here we picked up about 7 pounds of very fresh and tender green beans (2 lbs for 1.00). I will freeze some of them. We also picked up about 8 lbs of apples. Kayla and Maddie are going to make homemade apple sauce today. We got the apples for about 2.00 as they were marked down due to some bruising. We also picked up several pounds of delicious seedless tangerines (2 lbs for 1.00). Since we are cutting way back on our sugar consumption, I have notices a much greater desire to eat fresh fruit.

Next, we walked over the Fashion Sol. Maddie purchased a very cute yellow sun top for 3.00. By this time Allison had to go the bathroom and it was beginning to rain, so we headed home.

After we had a lunch of left over beef soup with some rice, I began tackling my ever present pile of laundry. Kayla and Maddie washed and began to peel the apples with potato peelers. We decided they could put down a sheet in the office and listen to Paw’s and Tales on the internet while they peeled the apples. We have found that www.oneplace.com is a very good resource for free Christian audio programs of all sorts for all sorts of audiences. About half-way through the apple peeling the girls started to whine a bit and want to quit. I encouraged them to be diligent and follow through with the task they had started. By the end of the job, they had become quite proficient at using a peeler.

While folding laundry I had Allison and David sitting at the table to have some Pomegranate 7-up. It was a new flavor, so I folded when they asked to try it at the store. It was on sale for 99 cents, so I said “sure”. Lately Allison and David have been fighting quite a bit. Because of David’s younger age & communication deficit, I encouraged Allison that she has a greater responsibility to decline the invitation to sin against God in fighting with her brother. As I was putting another load of laundry in in the garage I could see her sitting at the table, not declining, but accepting the invitation to sin and bicker with David. As she caught my eye, she knew she was doing wrong and was “caught”. I came in and signed to David to be nice to his sister and “don’t fight”. I turned to Allison and asked her what it is that she wants so badly that she is willing to sin against God and fight with David. She said she just wants her way when David wants his way. I got out my book Proverbs For Parenting and I read to her Proverbs 16:7: When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. We talked about what this verse meant in her situation and then I asked her to practice it until she knew it by heart.

Since our gas & electric bill was very high last month, Tim has asked me to be more careful with being wasteful with these commodities. Since then I have used the heater much less and been trying to keep all the unused lights off in the house. I wear socks on my feet, and put on a sweatshirt and this helps a lot with the cold.

Yesterday I took the kids to the Glendale Galleria. First time I have been in over 10 years. I was so disappointed to see all the immodest displays there. They were actually promoting a show called “How to Look Good Naked” or something like that. They were handing out DVDs promoting the show and I watched in surprise as they handed one out to a perplexed little girl no more than 5 years old in front of us. As we walked by they approached me and attempted to give me a packet. I said “no, thank you” in a firm but polite manner. I walked forward more and turned around to check if all my little chicks were behind me and I saw a gal trying to give Allison (5) something. I said more firmly this time, “No, Thank you!” I am not a real quick thinker, but later wished I had asked these women how they could promote something so inappropriate to young children. Also, a warming about a store called "Hollister", please avoid it! I have never seen such a disgusting display. Without getting too graphic it shows much more of the male anatomy than any God fearing person would ever want to see. It is a good idea to sit one's family down before going to the mall and prepare them for what they might see. We have a policy to “look away and pray”. Our prayer is for His kingdom to come and save us from our (humanity’s) own perverse hearts….

Tonight we will have Korean Bar-B-Que, courtesy of my wonderfully generous friend Miyon, and a wonderful green vegetable I discovered at Super King market. I believe it is called Mangda. Apparently it is loaded with vitamins. I asked a lady at the market about it and she said “It has too much vitamins. Oh, too many vitamins!” We will also have fresh pineapple which I picked up for 1.00 at Valley Foods. I had found a great pineapple corer, sliced gadget at a garage sale a few months ago for .50 cents. It makes serving fresh pineapple a snap!

Well that’s all for now! We are going to work on the older girl’s book reports. And finish that pile of laundry. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. Praise Him all you creatures here below.

PS: We are now enjoying a sampling of about a gallon of fresh, sugar free, homemade applesauce, all for $2.00, plus the girls learned a lesson in cooking, diligence, resourcefulness and enjoying the fruit of one's labors!


Comments

  1. I hope you are resting yourself....also you can cook the apples with the skin on & either chop it up in the food processor or peel it off later. It makes the applesauce pink...you can also add cinnamon which is very good for you. I love you guys & I'm praying some day you can come up & stay for awhile...love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innocence, precious innocence!

Kayla pulled me aside in a whispered voice today. " Mommy, Allison said a really bad word". My heart dropped. My stomach churned. I sifted through the list of "really bad words" I knew in my mind. Was it the s one? . The d one? Please don't let it be that really bad other one! As I gained my composure I looked at her and said "Kayla, what really bad word did Allison say?" "Well she couldn't get the dustbuster to turn on, so she said 'come on you dumb buster' " I hid my smile and thanked God for the sweet innocence He has allowed my almost 12 year old to maintain even though the world is trying to bang down the door and steal it away. Thank you Lord for allowing me to savor this moment of innocence. :)

Teaching your child about the S** word~ Part 1

Last year a mom approached me and asked me about how we approached the topic of sex with our girls. From that conversation we planned to have a informal moms night where I would teach how we did it in our home and provide an opportunity for moms to share what has worked for them. Last night, a mom mentioned to me that she noticed how open we are about talking to our kids about the topic of sex, love & relationships. She asked me some questions and it got me to thinking about this topic again. What we are doing in our home is STARKLY different from how I was raised and how this subject was broached by my parents as a young person. Many parents find this topic intimidating and awkward to say the least. And because it is so awkward they postpone bringing it up. Moms, I want to challenge you to rethink waiting and ask yourself if now might be the right time to begin to introduce your children to the topic of God's view on sex. I pulled up the file I had written and wanted

Tagged

Amy tagged me. I once had a nose piercing I can easily touch the tip of my nose with my tongue I can make a pretty good meal using leftovers or whatever I find in my cupboard and fridge, just don't ask me to make it exactly the same again. I feel very sincere and deep love for most people very quickly after I meet them. Sometimes I make people uncomfortable because I feel so deeply for them. There is nothing I would not give or do for a true need of another person. This has only happened since I have become a Christian and I know this is the love of Christ manifested in me. My favorite sound in the whole world right now is the sound of Allison and David playing and giggling and talking. It makes me want to worship God and thank Him for his grace to me which I know I do not deserve at all! I can usually smell things minutes before other people can. This heightened sense of smell has developed with each pregnancy I have had. Also, I had developed a love for spicier and spicier