Skip to main content
Tips For Encouraging Your husband in Spiritual Leadership



All the below suggestions should be done respectfully and sincerely.  My husband has read them & given his approval & input. :)

  1. Encourage and praise his efforts to lead & serve.
  2. Don't criticize his efforts to lead spiritually, even if you feel his efforts are simple or weak.  Seek the Lord to change both him & you. 
  3. Pray for him.
  4. Tell him you are praying for him.
  5. Do not boast about your spiritual achievements or make him feel less than you (spiritual pride).
  6. Repent of spiritual pride.
  7. Are you embarrassed of your husband's spiritual maturity?  Does it reflect poorly on you?  Ask yourself why you want him to grow.  Confess & repent of any ungodly motives. (We all have them)
  8. Get out of the drivers seat, so that he can get in.  Sinfully strong women often create passive husbands who do not lead.
  9. Acknowledge the difficulty he has in  finding time to do Bible study due to his full time working.  Seek to assist him, ask "Is there anything I can do to help?"
  10. With sincerity, ask him questions about the Bible ( even if you feel he has no idea) This is right.  First you are going to your husband, which is right. Second, this will allow him to opportunities to purposefully hit The Book, which is right!
  11. Respectfully encourage and assist him in finding someone to disciple him. (this was one of the BIG ways God allowed me to help my husband)
  12. Don't complain about the time he spends with his discipler.  Be positive about it & help it to happen!
  13. Praise his efforts to the kids.
  14. Teach the kids that Daddy is the head of your home & defer to him often when he is home.
  15. Share your hopes & concerns or him with him at the appropriate time in a loving & respectful way.  Do not nag.
  16. Give your expectations for WHAT his leading should look like to The Lord. Each husband will lead in a different way.  Your husband may not look like your pastor or elders in how they leadDaily give your unmet expectations to Christ and leave them there.  They belong at the foot of the cross.
  17. Look for ways he is leading and thank God & him for those ways.
  18. Be humble & teachable. Don't be disagreeable and argumentative about day to day things (this matters: 1 Pet 3:4)
  19. Be an easy person to lead.
  20. Load an MP3 player with sermons to listen to on the way to work and back.
  21. Provide a "place" for him to have his quiet time and study, let him leave his books out day after day and don't chastise him for it.  Praise him for it.
  22. Provide encouraging bathroom reading. Church newsletters, Christian Magazines, booklets, etc
  23. Be patient.  Remember sanctification is progressive. Give him room to be the sinner that he is.
  24. What "little foxes" are in your home?  Netflix? Cable Tv? Secular magazines? Is he ok with pairing down the amount of entertainment available in your home? Sos 2:15 "Catch the foxes for us, The little foxes that are ruining the vineyards, While our vineyards are in blossom."
  25. Do not love him in the way you want to, but rather love him in the way he feels most loved.  What way is that?
  26. Listen to him.
  27. Care for him, about his life, his likes, his worries, his coworkers, his work stories, etc
  28. Be sexually available as much as he needs. (Yes, this matters too!)
Disclaimer:
It is God who will do this work.
It cannot be brought about through a wive's own will, but God, in His graciousness gives a wife the privilege of being a part of it!   (Genesis 2:18 Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.")

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tagged

Amy tagged me. I once had a nose piercing I can easily touch the tip of my nose with my tongue I can make a pretty good meal using leftovers or whatever I find in my cupboard and fridge, just don't ask me to make it exactly the same again. I feel very sincere and deep love for most people very quickly after I meet them. Sometimes I make people uncomfortable because I feel so deeply for them. There is nothing I would not give or do for a true need of another person. This has only happened since I have become a Christian and I know this is the love of Christ manifested in me. My favorite sound in the whole world right now is the sound of Allison and David playing and giggling and talking. It makes me want to worship God and thank Him for his grace to me which I know I do not deserve at all! I can usually smell things minutes before other people can. This heightened sense of smell has developed with each pregnancy I have had. Also, I had developed a love for spicier and spicier

Innocence, precious innocence!

Kayla pulled me aside in a whispered voice today. " Mommy, Allison said a really bad word". My heart dropped. My stomach churned. I sifted through the list of "really bad words" I knew in my mind. Was it the s one? . The d one? Please don't let it be that really bad other one! As I gained my composure I looked at her and said "Kayla, what really bad word did Allison say?" "Well she couldn't get the dustbuster to turn on, so she said 'come on you dumb buster' " I hid my smile and thanked God for the sweet innocence He has allowed my almost 12 year old to maintain even though the world is trying to bang down the door and steal it away. Thank you Lord for allowing me to savor this moment of innocence. :)

“Almost perfect… but not quite.”

“Almost perfect… but not quite.” Those were the words of Mary Hume At her seventh birthday party, Looking ‘round the ribboned room. “This tablecloth is pink not white— Almost perfect…but not quite.” “Almost perfect…but not quite.” Those were the words of grown-up Mary Talking about her handsome beau, The one she wasn’t gonna marry. “Squeezes me a bit too tight— Almost perfect…but not quite.” “Almost perfect…but not quite.” Those were the words of ol’ Miss Hume. Teaching in the seventh grade, Grading papers in the gloom Late at night up in her room. “They never cross their t’s just right— Almost perfect…but not quite.” Ninety-eight the day she died Complainin’ bout the spotless floor. People shook their heads and sighed, “Guess that she’ll like heaven more.” Up went her soul on feathered wings, Out the door, up out of sight. Another voice from heaven came— “Almost