Skip to main content

I wouldn't have it any other way




This morning at about 6:15 am a little sweet boy crawled into my bed with me. "doo mawnee" he greeted me with a big hug. As we snuggled up in bed, he had his back snuggled up closely to my front as we both lay on our side under the cool sheet. I kissed his neck and let my thoughts turn to God as I always try to do whenever my eyes first open up after sleeping. "Lord thank you for this sweet boy", "Lord thank you, for who he is", "Lord thank you, that you created him with a hearing impairment", wait a minute... what was that that flowed naturally out of my own heart? Thank you Lord that you allowed my son to suffer for 2 years without hearing, to be misdiagnosed with autism, to live in a state of anger, sadness and frustration for the first 2 years of life, to not be able to say his own name at age 4 1/2. Thank you Lord?

Yes, thank you Lord.
I can tell you I have been thanking the Lord for David's impairment since I first found out, but .......it was all words
just words.
I thanked God because I knew I was supposed to, because God commanded me to in His word and yet there was this reality that did not feel thankful that my boy had this disability.
Yet, this morning, I can honestly say, I am thankful. I praise God that my son has a severe to profound hearing loss. I praise God that he has cute little purple hearing aids. I praise God that he says "doo mawnee" instead of "good morning". I praise God that he calls himself "Bobby" instead of "David".

The excitement of hearing my son surprise us with new words, new phrases and new understanding it exhilerating. It is something no mother of a normal develpoing child will ever experience! And this is a gift from God meant for us to savor and enjoy. And what a joy to be able to see it this way. I thank the Lord that He has allowed me to have a joyful heart in this experience.
On Wednesday we were at the doctor's office. David seems to draw a crowd where ever we go. People notice him.
Maybe it is his loud, high, nasally and squeaky voice.
Maybe it is his 2 pronounced little ears bearing the weight of his heavy purple hearing aids.
Maybe it is just his cute face.
Well he had drawn a crowd of onlookers. There were quite a feww grandmas and grandpas in the office that day and David had all of their attention. We were walking out of the waiting room and David was follwing behind me. I was calling him and turning around and found him walking slowly. All of a sudden he broke out into break dancing for his audience. He was on the floor, bustin a move and kicking his legs up waving his arms and getting down!!! What a little ham. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Yesterday Kayla had done a running jump and found herself on the floor hurt. David showed a lot of concern for his big sister as he bent over, put his hand on her back and said "Are you okay?" I was thrilled because I hadn't taught him this phrase. He just picked it up on his own!!!
And Kayla relayed to me that while playing nintendo the other day with his sisters, David proclaimed "Girls first, then boys", and sat patiently for his sisters to take their turns before he had his own. I wouldn't have it any other way! All moms of little girls, please see me and Tim later for an marriage application for your daughters!!! :)

Comments

  1. Great blog! I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Innocence, precious innocence!

Kayla pulled me aside in a whispered voice today. " Mommy, Allison said a really bad word". My heart dropped. My stomach churned. I sifted through the list of "really bad words" I knew in my mind. Was it the s one? . The d one? Please don't let it be that really bad other one! As I gained my composure I looked at her and said "Kayla, what really bad word did Allison say?" "Well she couldn't get the dustbuster to turn on, so she said 'come on you dumb buster' " I hid my smile and thanked God for the sweet innocence He has allowed my almost 12 year old to maintain even though the world is trying to bang down the door and steal it away. Thank you Lord for allowing me to savor this moment of innocence. :)

Teaching your child about the S** word~ Part 1

Last year a mom approached me and asked me about how we approached the topic of sex with our girls. From that conversation we planned to have a informal moms night where I would teach how we did it in our home and provide an opportunity for moms to share what has worked for them. Last night, a mom mentioned to me that she noticed how open we are about talking to our kids about the topic of sex, love & relationships. She asked me some questions and it got me to thinking about this topic again. What we are doing in our home is STARKLY different from how I was raised and how this subject was broached by my parents as a young person. Many parents find this topic intimidating and awkward to say the least. And because it is so awkward they postpone bringing it up. Moms, I want to challenge you to rethink waiting and ask yourself if now might be the right time to begin to introduce your children to the topic of God's view on sex. I pulled up the file I had written and wanted

Tagged

Amy tagged me. I once had a nose piercing I can easily touch the tip of my nose with my tongue I can make a pretty good meal using leftovers or whatever I find in my cupboard and fridge, just don't ask me to make it exactly the same again. I feel very sincere and deep love for most people very quickly after I meet them. Sometimes I make people uncomfortable because I feel so deeply for them. There is nothing I would not give or do for a true need of another person. This has only happened since I have become a Christian and I know this is the love of Christ manifested in me. My favorite sound in the whole world right now is the sound of Allison and David playing and giggling and talking. It makes me want to worship God and thank Him for his grace to me which I know I do not deserve at all! I can usually smell things minutes before other people can. This heightened sense of smell has developed with each pregnancy I have had. Also, I had developed a love for spicier and spicier