Skip to main content

Enjoying the Fruit of Biblical Parenting



Today I had one of those moments when I got to get a glimpse of what my life might have looked like without Jesus Christ. Of what my children might be like if I had not received good teaching that taught me that the Bible has the foundations for Christian parenting in it. That God's way in parenting as in all things is the BEST way.

I have to give a disclaimer here.
I am about to boast.
But I am not going to boast that I am a wonderful parent.
I am not going to boast that I have wonderful children.
I am not going to boast that I was smart enough to figure out how to do it right.
I am going to boast in the Lord.
1 Cor 1:31 says “LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD.”
And I have to tell you that I am boasting in the fruit of Biblical parenting.

Today we stopped by Walgreens. The minute the door opening I heard this piercing scream and I instantly turned to see who was being assaulted. Surely someone's life is being threatened! And my eyes met an all too familiar site.
I see a little 4- 5 year old boy was screaming at the top of his lungs as his mother tried to ignore the scene he was making. Wow! Was it loud! As Maddie(10), David (4) and I (not telling) walked by them it was hard not to stare.
The boy screamed and whined.
It was one of those screams that says,
"my heart is really not in this, but I have to keep this up so I will get what I want".
He would take breathes, look around, see that the situation with his mom has not changed and then scream some more.
It became quickly apparent that he had wanted a toy which the store did not have and the mom was saying "maybe we can get something else".
"NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"
He screamed.
So we walked on by and went to the toys isle.
We were drawn to the toy isle by the big 50% off Toys sign at the front of the store. (we were killing time) In the toy isle David found a really fun looking basketball game. He has a birthday coming up in March so I figured at 50% off it must be a steal.
I said to David "Do you want this?"
He said "Yes!"
I handed it to him to carry and we began to look at other toys because Maddie currently has $ 20.00 burning a hole in her pocket from Christmas.
Soon the screamer showed up and he and his mom continued bargaining over toys.
At this time I was feeling burdened and hoping that this woman would spontaneously come up to me and say "HELP ME!" and then I would share the gospel with her and teach her all about Biblical Parenting and save her from her fate.
But that did not happen.
My heart was also rejoicing in the fact that God saved me and that I had life abundantly because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross.
And rejoicing that I am not in her shoes. Not in that place of helplessness. Of feeling like nothing any of the experts have to tell about how to parent work! Of knowing I hate this behavior, but am helpless to do anything about it. That hopeless helpless place....
So we walked up to the cashier to check the price of the basketball game.
She scanned it and told me the price was 16.00.
I looked at David and told him "Sorry, David we are not going to buy it. It is too much money."
I held my breath and waited for David's response. Now mind you David is a sinner. He does not always respond the right way. But he has been trained. he has been taught and he has a lot of experience that tells him what is okay and what is not okay when it comes to these types of situations.
He looked at me and with the cutest little nasally voice said "Okay."

Woo-HOOO!!! My heart rejoiced in the fruit of Biblical parenting displayed in David's life as I looked around to see if perhaps the screamer and his mom had been watching us as we had been watching them.
They were not.
As we walked outside Maddie commented on how disturbing the screaming had been.
I turned to her and quoted this verse "Folly is bound up in the heart of a child and the rod of correction will drive it far from him" .
She smiled.
"Maddie aren't you glad that Mommy disciplines you ?"
"Yeah" she said.
"Are you going to discipline your children when you are a Mommy?
"YES!" she said.
"And you know why we discipline you right?"

"Because you love me!" She wisely responded.......

1 Cor 1:31 says “LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD.”

Thank you God for allowing me to boast this day in the Lord and in fruit of Biblical parenting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Innocence, precious innocence!

Kayla pulled me aside in a whispered voice today. " Mommy, Allison said a really bad word". My heart dropped. My stomach churned. I sifted through the list of "really bad words" I knew in my mind. Was it the s one? . The d one? Please don't let it be that really bad other one! As I gained my composure I looked at her and said "Kayla, what really bad word did Allison say?" "Well she couldn't get the dustbuster to turn on, so she said 'come on you dumb buster' " I hid my smile and thanked God for the sweet innocence He has allowed my almost 12 year old to maintain even though the world is trying to bang down the door and steal it away. Thank you Lord for allowing me to savor this moment of innocence. :)

Teaching your child about the S** word~ Part 1

Last year a mom approached me and asked me about how we approached the topic of sex with our girls. From that conversation we planned to have a informal moms night where I would teach how we did it in our home and provide an opportunity for moms to share what has worked for them. Last night, a mom mentioned to me that she noticed how open we are about talking to our kids about the topic of sex, love & relationships. She asked me some questions and it got me to thinking about this topic again. What we are doing in our home is STARKLY different from how I was raised and how this subject was broached by my parents as a young person. Many parents find this topic intimidating and awkward to say the least. And because it is so awkward they postpone bringing it up. Moms, I want to challenge you to rethink waiting and ask yourself if now might be the right time to begin to introduce your children to the topic of God's view on sex. I pulled up the file I had written and wanted

Tagged

Amy tagged me. I once had a nose piercing I can easily touch the tip of my nose with my tongue I can make a pretty good meal using leftovers or whatever I find in my cupboard and fridge, just don't ask me to make it exactly the same again. I feel very sincere and deep love for most people very quickly after I meet them. Sometimes I make people uncomfortable because I feel so deeply for them. There is nothing I would not give or do for a true need of another person. This has only happened since I have become a Christian and I know this is the love of Christ manifested in me. My favorite sound in the whole world right now is the sound of Allison and David playing and giggling and talking. It makes me want to worship God and thank Him for his grace to me which I know I do not deserve at all! I can usually smell things minutes before other people can. This heightened sense of smell has developed with each pregnancy I have had. Also, I had developed a love for spicier and spicier